Thursday, September 2, 2010

This I Tried: Revlon Colorstay Mineral Mousse

I'm one of those people who swear by Bare Escentuals mineral makeup. That being said, I will avoid what could be a 5-page rant about how amazing and life-changing this makeup line is and (try to) go straight to my product review.

Besides my tendency to accumulate cosmetic clutter, it seemed reasonable enough to find a drugstore brand - more affordable - that I could wear to work and then save the BE for outings and such.

I'm reluctant to change because one of the amazing benefits of authentic mineral makeup is that it keeps my acne-prone skin from further breakout. There are a lot of brands these days that market themselves as "mineral" but when you read the ingredients, you find out they're still adding talc, alcohol etc. So, when you choose a so-called mineral makeup that is not Bare Escentuals, keep that in mind.

Revlon Colorstay foundations (mineral or not) are very good. I used to wear the Colorstay Active, which I believe is now discontinued and replaced with the Colorstay for Combo/Oily Skin with SoftFlex, and I loved it. It was high-pigmented so provided full coverage and it lasted all day. But then I abandoned liquid foundations altogether and that's another long story.

Never tried Revlon's line of mineral makeup (they first came up with the loose powder form) and I was about to buy their Photo Ready Foundation to see what the High Definition makeup brouhaha is all about but changed my mind last minute. I picked the mousse version so I could try something different from powder, in order to achieve a perhaps more "dewy" finish, while maintaining 4 properties I look for in a foundation:
  • Full coverage
  • Lasting power
  • No pore-clogging
  • SPF
Revlon Colorstay Mineral Mousse has one gazillion ingredients, including alcohol, while still writing "mineral" on the bottle. I'm no scientist so I don't really know what ingredients define a makeup as mineral, but let's just say this one is not "pure". Whatever. If it clogs my pores I can always return it.

So onto the test:

Texture:
Texture is soft and indeed mousse-like. First ingredient on the list is dimethicone, which is a silicone that gives you that smooth sensation on skin. This foundation feels a lot like Philosophy The Supernatural primer, which is the primer I use under foundation. That's a good thing.

Shade:
There aren't a lot of shades to choose from - be warned - but the one I picked, 020 Fair/Light seems to match my skin tone without issue. When it comes to everyday makeup, always choose a shade that disappears on your skin. Now for pictures (say, if you have a wedding to go to), I would say pick a shade slightly darker than your skin tone, since the flash lights are never very kind on us, especially the pale faces like moi.

Application:
This mousse dries out fast without feeling too cakey. Another rule of thumb: when you use powder foundation, put concealer (liquid, powder or otherwise) on first. When you use liquid foundation, apply it first all over face and then concealer over it, only where you feel the need for more coverage.
Coverage with this foundation is good, I used the dot method, applying with my fingertips, blending in all the way to my neck to avoid the mask look. Had to go back a few times to cover some stubborn redness and zits but I forgot I can always use my concealer for it. With Bare Escentuals, it's all one product, you just switch brushes. So is it buildable coverage? Yes, but you don't want to stuff your face with the product, so don't skip concealer if you need.

I followed with Maybelline Mineral Power Concealer (which is really good, comparable to Lancôme Effacernes, but one slice of the price) and Maybelline Mineral Power Finishing Veil in Translucent, which are both products I use even with my BE foundation.

Quick Tip:
The good thing about liquid or mousse foundation is that you can play with cream blushes and highlighters without streaking. It's easier to blend. If you're gonna use a cream blush, leave the setting powder for last. If you choose a powder or compact blush (or bronzer), apply a setting powder first.

Everything seemed to blend in okay.

The Look:
Please excuse the low-quality of these pics. My camera broke, my cell phone camera is a joke and so is the lighting in my house.


From top left: bathroom lighting, bathroom lighting close-up,
natural light and natural light profile.

You can notice in the pics that there are still some minor visible (acne) scars on my cheeks. I try not to go overboard with foundation for daytime, but you can always build more coverage whether with this foundation or a concealer, or both.

Performance:
I picked a very interesting day to test this makeup out. Ironically, I locked myself out of my house and had to walk to work. Granted, it's only a mile away, but it was a sunny Florida Hurricane Season summer day. In other words: hot, humid and windy. Add to that the greasy kitchen environment I usually work in and Revlon was in for quite the test.

I noticed no makeup meltdown as I sweat through the 90F+ weather. One thing I also like to use as a test for a new makeup is people's comments at work. If someone says something about my makeup at work (positive or not), I know it's not looking natural. When I go to work, I try my best to keep it looking like I have no makeup on, even though I spend about 20 minutes putting it all on before I leave the house. No comments that day. Second test passed.

Later that night when I came home, I noticed my makeup still looked reasonably okay, despite the usual oily spots that just happen no matter what I do. Nose, chin and forehead, nose being the first one to go. I'm too lazy to use oil blotting sheets at work, but I'm sure that would help and I recommend them, especially for touch ups. Other areas in my face could use a little concealer touch up as well, but overall, it looked decent.

Verdict:
Pretty satisfied with the product. Was my mind blown? No. Is it life changing? Meh. Is it better than Bare Escentuals? No way.
Like most liquid foundations, you still get that strange feel that you're wearing something on your face. A feel you only know exists once you try Bare Escentuals on. It's a fact. I'm very spoiled now and I love wearing makeup that doesn't feel like I'm wearing makeup. It's like switching from pads to tampons. Just being honest.

Is it worth the buy? Sure. For $12 for a 1 FL Oz/30 ml tube, it's a competent everyday makeup that will look natural on your skin (if you find a shade that matches). I Probably would not wear it to go out or for a big event because you can certainly find better (I will still give the Photo Ready foundation a shot someday). Also, don't expect the dewy "red carpet" look, because this will give you a more matte finish than anything else. Can you wear to the gym, for instance, or a beach barbecue? Absolutely. I noticed no makeup meltdown and it contains SPF 20.

Will I buy this product again? Hmmm, not sure. I'll keep shopping around. It's a maybe.

* ~*~ *

"My Makeup Reviews", in Australia, has a detailed review on this product, with swatches and comparisons.

This video can be pretty helpful too.

0 comments:

Post a Comment